Classical Preparatory School provides a traditional classical education to scholars from twos through 12th grade. We were the first classical charter school in the state of Florida, located just north of Tampa. A classical/liberal arts education is the educational gold standard for creating innovators, thinkers, and leaders. Classical Prep aims to provide our scholars with the tools needed to excel in higher education and to be moral and intellectual leaders in a self-governing society, something more relevant than ever in today’s complex and ever-changing world.
A part-time custodian position with competitive pay, paid time off, and a great retirement package. Anticipated work days are Monday through Friday from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm. We are looking for someone with some flexibility in his/her schedule to allow for adaptability as needs arise. This is a 12-month position. All new hires are subject to a 90-day probation period. The custodian will report directly to the Director of the Early Academy with support from the Plant and Maintenance Managers.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with professionalism and respect
- Familiarity with the school as an organization
- Self-motivated and willing to serve
- Ability to multitask and perform all job requirements
- Strong oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented team player who will maintain high standards for work areas and appearance
- Must work effectively with and collaborate with the Maintenance Manager
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed
- Knowledge of proper and safe use of applicable custodial equipment
- Must have basic phone and computer skills (email, texting, etc.)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to assigned work
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull
- Must be able to work in heat, cold, damp and dry conditions.
- Must be able to perform the physical aspects of the job such as climbing ladders; carrying items up to 35 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally; continuously walking or stand
- Education: minimum high school graduate with continuing education construction or facilities related.
- Experience: A minimum of 1 years of janitorial trade experience
Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position.
- Prioritize tasks so the needs of staff and students are met first.
- Manage special projects assigned by the Director, plant manager and/or maintenance manager.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory of custodial materials and supplies.
- Perform and oversee routine maintenance operations and keep maintenance records up to day (i.e. A/C filter changes, A/C service).
- Scrub, wax and refinish floors as needed.
- Perform minor repairs to building fixtures and equipment.
- Coordinate the set-up and breakdown of rooms for special events and activities at the Early Academy.
- Maintain records as required for compliance such as inventory distribution and cleaning inspections.
- Move, rearrange, and/or assemble/discard furniture, chairs, desks, tables, etc as needed.
- Ensure maintenance work orders are completed in a timely manner and follow up communication is sent to applicable staff.
- Deliver various items to appropriate parties as assigned.
- Ensure all classrooms, common areas and bathrooms are stocked with needed items (i.e. cleaner, paper towels, toilet paper).
- Perform basic electrical repairs.
- Perform classroom repairs as needed.
- Assist with vendors while on site as needed.
The custodian will perform a variety of tasks to ensure each building on campus is always kept clean and orderly for staff and students. The custodian must be able to accommodate cleaning needs as they arise and show flexibility in getting tasks done. He/She may report to different areas of campus depending on the needs that arise. He/She will be expected to prioritize tasks so the needs of staff and students are met first, including:
- Cleaning assigned areas including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting and trash removal:
- Interior – hallways, restrooms, offices, classrooms, lunchroom, multi-purpose rooms, and any other area assigned by supervisor
- Exterior – Perimeter of school building, parking lot, playground, windows, and any other area assigned by supervisor
- Cleaning AC filters and vents.
- Cleaning light fixtures, ceilings and vents, walls, furniture windows and window coverings as needed.
- Replenishing supplies and materials.
Maintain Safe Environment
The custodian will work diligently to provide a safe learning environment for students as well as a safe working environment for staff.
- Ensure all buildings are secured every evening prior to leaving.
- On-call rotation for weekend emergencies. Serves as a contact for facility related emergencies, which may require evening and weekend work by being available after school hours and weekends and be able to respond to emergencies on an 24/7 on-call basis as first or second responder for alarm monitoring, fire and building safety as needed. Works with the local Sheriff’s office, fire department, dispatch, and security and fire monitoring company.
- Verify that emergency equipment is maintained and repaired on a regular basis.
- Maintain all the grounds on campus including, but not limited to, by removing leaves, picking up trash, weeding and power washing.
- Ensure signage is properly secured, changing necessary signage, cleaning signage, watering grass and maintaining landscaping, bush trimming, rust removal and spraying for insects.
Maintenance of Facilities
- Assist staff with basic repair needs such as unclogging toilets, fixing/assembling bookshelves, painting, changing light bulbs and scrubbing, stripping and waxing floors.
Compensation and Terms of Employment
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience and performance. This is a 12 month position.
- Paid time off
How to Apply
Complete the application located in the “Apply Here” button located at the top of this page. You will need to include a cover letter explaining why you would make a great custodian at Classical Preparatory Early Academy.