Classical Preparatory School (CPS) provides a traditional classical education to scholars from toddler through 12th grade. We were the first classical charter school in the state of Florida, located just north of Tampa. A classical/liberal arts education is the educational gold standard for creating innovators, thinkers, and leaders. CPS aims to provide our scholars with the tools needed to excel in higher education and to be moral and intellectual leaders in a self-governing society, something more relevant than ever in today’s complex and ever-changing world.
Grammar School Teachers develop within students the intellectual and personal habits and skills upon which responsible, independent and productive lives are built, in the firm belief that such lives are the basis of a free and just society. Our teachers accomplish this through the creation of lesson plans, inspiration, and constructive criticism to promote character development and habit formation. They instruct students on subjects such as science, literature, history, and math, in order to create a well-rounded, comprehensive, classical instructional program. The Grammar School Teacher reports to the Dean of Academics.
- Bachelor’s degree in elementary education or related content field
- Alignment to Classical Prep’s mission and vision
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Valid Florida Teacher’s Certificate
- Classroom teaching experience
- Related graduate-level work in education
- Passion for and commitment to classical education
- Demonstration of our ten habits: attention, memorization, perfect execution, order, reflection, courtesy, obedience, truthfulness, fortitude, and temperance
- Management of a classical classroom that uses direct instruction, seminars, discipline, structure, positive incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze data and skills to format data into effective programs and instructional decisions
- Ambition and desire to grow as a professional
- Commitment to responsive, honest feedback and coaching for teacher growth
- Alignment with the school’s expectation of high academic achievement for all scholars and commitment to building citizens of impeccable character
- Demonstrated success in fostering a positive, collaborative educational environment
- Willingness to participate in extracurricular clubs and activities as faculty mentor, coach, or sponsor
- Establish and maintain productive, collaborative relationships with students, staff, parents, and community members
Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position.
- Study, practice, and execute lessons that lead students to master daily standard-aligned objectives, faithfully using our rigorous, classical curriculum.
- Plan, prepare and deliver classical instructional methods and activities.
- Integrate school defined goals and objectives into lesson plans.
- Maintain grade books.
- Issue quarterly progress reports and semester report cards.
- Plan one (1) or more field trips.
- Plan two (2) or more curriculum days in order to dig deeper into subjects and ideas within the curriculum.
- Work with grade level team to ensure consistency among the grade.
- Build relationships and communicate effectively with parents/guardians.
- Meet grade level and school-wide student performance goals.
- Work with Dean of Academics , Dean of Students, and Student Support Services to ensure initiatives are being met.
- Tutor students whether individually and/or in an after-school tutoring program.
- Rigorously and regularly pursue personal and professional growth through reading, mentorship, and other means.
- Commit to growing professionally and personally through continuous learning.
- Assign, correct, and grade homework assignments, classroom work, tests, and quizzes.
- Evaluate each student’s progress on a regular basis and communicate this progress to the student, parents, and deans.
- Manage the class by setting clear expectations of behavior, establishing reasonable routines and promoting self-discipline.
- Respond expediently to parent, student, or volunteer concerns and ideas.
- Establish and maintain a highly ordered classroom culture where scholars and staff demonstrate respect, responsibility, caring, trustworthiness, fairness, and citizenship.
- Work closely with instructional coach to develop curriculum, instruction, and assessment practices.
- Cultivate fundamental habits of virtue consistent with the grammar school’s outlined mission and purpose.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
Compensation and Terms of Employment
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience and performance. This is a full-time teaching position that follows the teacher position and compensation agreement.
How to Apply
Complete the application located in the “Apply Here” button to the right. You will need to include a cover letter explaining why you would make a great teacher at Classical Preparatory School.