Classical Preparatory School (CPS) provides a traditional classical education to scholars from toddler through 12th grade. We were the first classical charter school in the state of Florida, located just north of Tampa. A classical/liberal arts education is the educational gold standard for creating innovators, thinkers, and leaders. CPS aims to equip our scholars with the tools needed to excel in higher education and to be moral and intellectual leaders in a self-governing society, something more relevant than ever in today’s complex and ever-changing world.
The Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Teacher position is a full-time position responsible for organizing and implementing an instructional program to meet the academic, physical, and social emotional needs of Classical Preparatory scholars identified as eligible for exceptional student education services. The ESE teacher supports the development and implementation of individual education plans, collects, analyzes, and reports student data, and collaborates and consults with grade level teachers, administration, parents, and other special service providers. The ESE teacher reports to the Vice Principal and works closely with the Dean of Academics and the Dean of Students.
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education or related field
- Understanding of special education laws, individual education plan (IEP) writing, and best practices for providing students with accommodations within the general education classroom
- Valid Florida certification in any exceptional student education field (varying exceptionalities, specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, etc.),
- Reading Endorsement or Reading Certification
- Gifted and Talented Endorsement
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Endorsement
- Classroom teaching experience
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Passion for and commitment to classical education
- Management of a classical classroom that uses direct instruction, seminars, discipline, structure, positive incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze data and skills to format data into effective programs and instructional decisions
- Ambition and desire to grow as an educational leader
- Commitment to responsive, honest feedback for teacher growth
- Alignment with the school’s expectation of high academic achievement for all scholars and commitment to building citizens of impeccable character
- Demonstrated success in fostering a positive, collaborative educational environment
- Establish and maintain productive, collaborative relationships with students, staff, parents, and community members
- Demonstration of our ten habits: attention, memorization, perfect execution, order, reflection, courtesy, obedience, truthfulness, fortitude, and temperance
Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position.
- Provides specialized instructional techniques through individual or group sessions designed to meet the needs of the students.
- Uses instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated learning goals and grade level objectives.
- Create, organize, and maintain a schedule to maximize time and number of students served.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Diagnoses the learning abilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of school leaders and district specialists as required.
- Counsels with colleagues, students, and/or parents on a regular basis.
- Confers with other teachers concerning any educational needs of students identified as eligible for exceptional student education services.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action Classical Preparatory School’s philosophy of education and instructional standards.
- Implement students’ IEP plans, while ensuring the integrity of academic time and in a manner which motivates students to learn and participate.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Cooperates with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
- Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning both the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding students’ information.
- Seeks a variety of services through community resources and agencies to meet the needs of exceptional students.
- Develops and conducts an inservice program to inform classroom teachers of the goals and objectives of the ESE program and ways of achieving them in the school setting.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on committees as required.
- Effectively delivers and articulates oral presentations and written reports.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with students, parents, staff, administration, and the general public.
- Provides for his/her own professional growth through an ongoing program of reading, workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by building administrator(s) in accordance with school/division policies and practices.
Compensation and Terms of Employment
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience and performance. This is a full-time teaching position that follows the teacher position and compensation agreement.
How to Apply
Complete the application located in the “Apply Here” button to the right. You will need to include a cover letter explaining why you would make a great Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Teacher at Classical Preparatory School.