Classical Preparatory School (CPS) provides a traditional classical education to scholars from toddler through 12th grade. We were the first classical charter school in the state of Florida, located just north of Tampa. A classical/liberal arts education is the educational gold standard for creating innovators, thinkers, and leaders. CPS aims to provide the tools needed for our scholars to excel in higher education and to be moral and intellectual leaders in society, something more relevant than ever in today’s complex and ever-changing world.
Early Academy provides an inspiring introduction to classical education for little minds. Early Academy’s Lead VPK Teacher position is an hourly position that reports to the Director of Early Academy. The Lead VPK Teacher is a highly-organized, compassionate, and self-starting individual dedicated to inspiring wonder and joy into preschool-aged children by implementing content-rich curriculum and character development.
- 45 hours or completion of the 45 hours within 90 days of employment
- Child Development Associate (CDA) or degree in early education
- Three years experience working in a preschool setting
- Maintains a current certificate for the four-hour first-aid and four-hour adult/child/infant CPR course
- ELC Director I Certification with early education and supervisory experience
- Sound knowledge of early child development, ELC Licensing requirements and policy
- Familiar with character education, classical education, Direct Instruction, Core Knowledge, and mastery-based instructional practices
- Passion for and commitment to classical education
- Demonstration of our ten habits: attention, memorization, perfect execution, order, reflection, courtesy, obedience, truthfulness, fortitude, and temperance
- Management of a classical classroom that uses direct instruction, discipline, structure, positive incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ambition and desire to grow as an educator
- Commitment to responsive, honest feedback
- Alignment with the school’s mission of high academic achievement for all scholars and commitment to building citizens of impeccable character
- Demonstrated success in fostering a positive, collaborative educational environment
- Establish and maintain productive, collaborative relationships with students, staff, parents, and community members
Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position.
- Model and support students in developing virtuous character by establishing and maintaining a highly-ordered classroom culture where scholars and staff demonstrate respect, responsibility, caring, trustworthiness, fairness, and citizenship.
- Teach and actively monitor individual students, in small groups, and whole class in all subjects throughout the day
- Create a safe and positive learning environment
- Implement the comprehensive, content-rich curriculum with precision, integrity, and enthusiasm
- Plan, prepare, and deliver engaging, mastery-based lessons that integrate school defined goals and objectives
- Administer and analyze benchmark and in-program assessments; adjust instruction accordingly
- Manage the class by setting clear expectations of behavior, establishing reasonable routines, and promoting self-discipline
- Assist in planning and implementing field trips, curriculum days, and school events
- Communicate effectively and expediently with parents regarding student performance and progress
- Before and end of day supervision/teaching of students; assistance with carline
- Support the school’s mission through fidelity to policies and practices
- Adhere to Early Learning Coalition (ELC) and Florida’s Department of Children and Families (DCF) regulations and requirements
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
Compensation and Terms of Employment
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience and performance. This hourly position is for the days students are in school, with up to an additional seven days for professional development and training.
How to Apply
Please apply through our website: www.classicalprep.org. You will need to upload your resume and a hand-written cover letter explaining why you would make a great Lead VPK Teacher at Early Academy.