Assistant VPK Teacher
The mission of Classical Preparatory School is to pursue academic excellence and character enrichment through the rigorous, content-rich curriculum, imparting to our students the ability to excel and a desire to continuously pursue learning throughout their lives.
This employee is responsible for assisting the lead teacher by performing the following tasks required to handle providing support to the instructional program within assigned Pre-Kindergarten classroom with specific responsibility for working with individual and/or small groups of students, and providing clerical support to teachers and staff. This person will work to establish and accomplish organizational goals, objectives and strategic plans within the areas they assist with by continually exploring growth opportunities and identifying key risks and success factors. This role is a 10-month contracted position.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials (e.g. art projects, computer, language skills, etc.) for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom goals and objectives
- Administers classroom assignments for the purpose of supporting teachers in the instructional process.
- Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. read stories, providing writing assistance, reinforce language skills, numbers, alphabet, computer learning programs, etc.) for the purpose of practicing and/or reinforcing learning concepts and assisting students in reaching academic goals and grade level standards.
- Communicates with teachers for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing classroom objectives.
- Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs general clerical tasks (e.g. laminating, making posters, making copies, bulletin boards, filing, newsletters, etc.) for the purpose of helping the teacher get instructional materials ready.
- Answer questions and provide information for families with enrollment/registration questions.
- Reports observations and incidents relating to specific students (e.g. accidents, appropriate and/or inappropriate social behavior, violations of rules, safety conditions, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate instructional and/or administrative personnel.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
- 45-clock-hour introductory Child Care Training
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience in a preschool setting.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and implementation skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented team player willing to work together in a collaborative manner
- Ability to remain calm and solutions-oriented in high-stress situations
- Proactive problem solving
- Commitment to Early Academy and its desire to do whatever it takes to ensure our teachers and students have what they need to be successful
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Google Docs
- Ability to multi-task and balance ambiguity in an entrepreneurial environment