Classical Preparatory School (CPS) provides a traditional classical education to scholars from toddler through 12th grade. We were the first classical charter school in the state of Florida, located just north of Tampa. A classical/liberal arts education is the educational gold standard for creating innovators, thinkers, and leaders. CPS aims to provide the tools needed for our scholars to excel in higher education and to be moral and intellectual leaders in society, something more relevant than ever in today’s complex and ever-changing world.
Early Academy provides an inspiring introduction to classical education for little minds. The Early Academy (EA) Assistant Teacher position is an hourly position that reports to the Director of Early Academy and works closely with the teachers to whom he/she is assigned. The Assistant Teacher is a highly organized, disciplined, and self-starting individual who helps support teachers in their routine duties so that the teachers are more free to focus on instruction. The Assistant Teacher is responsible for a variety of duties throughout the day and week, including reinforcing instruction, preparing materials and equipment for classroom teachers, supporting the administrative and clerical needs of teachers and administrators, supervising students (outdoor play, lunch, and nap), substitute teaching, assisting with before school and after school teaching and carline, and other duties as assigned.
- 45 hours or completion of the 45 hours within 90 days of employment
- Experience working with toddlers and preschool-age children
- Maintains a current certificate for the four-hour first-aid and four-hour adult/child/infant CPR course
- Child Development Associate (CDA) or Florida Child Care Professional Certificate (FCCPC) earned within the last five (5) years
- Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in early childhood education
- Familiar with character education, classical education, Direct Instruction, Core Knowledge, and mastery-based instructional practices
- Passion for and commitment to classical education
- Demonstration of our ten habits: attention, memorization, perfect execution, order, reflection, courtesy, obedience, truthfulness, fortitude, and temperance
- Demonstrated success in fostering a positive, collaborative educational environment
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ambition and desire to grow as an educator
- Commitment to responsive, honest feedback
- Alignment with the school’s mission of high academic achievement for all scholars and commitment to building citizens of impeccable character
- Establish and maintain productive, collaborative relationships with students, staff, parents, and community members
Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position.
- Model and support students in developing virtuous character
- Support the school’s mission through fidelity to policies and practices
- Teach, co-teach, or support instruction to individual students or in small groups
- Help create a safe and positive learning environment
- Support classroom teachers with classroom management and routines
- Actively monitor outdoor play, naptime, and lunch
- Serve as a substitute teacher in the absence of the classroom teacher
- Assist classroom teachers in monitoring students for correct uniform standards
- Before and end of day supervision/teaching of students and assistance with carline
- Assist the classroom teacher and Early Academy program with tasks required to keep the classroom and instruction running smoothly and efficiently.
- This may include but is not limited to such tasks as making copies, sharpening pencils, changing bulletin boards, filing student papers, classroom and outdoor organization and cleaning, lesson preparation, toy and supply inventory and ordering, grading, testing, observing/data collection, helping with diaper changing and toilet training, helping individual students, and supporting classroom events.
- Ensure and maintain a clean and safe learning environment for scholars
Compensation and Terms of Employment
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience and performance. This hourly position is for the days students are in school, with up to an additional seven days for professional development and training.
How to Apply
Please click on the “Apply Here” button located at the top of this page. You will need to upload your resume and a hand-written cover letter explaining why you would make a great Assistant Teacher at Early Academy.