Daytime Custodian at Classical Preparatory School
The mission of Classical Preparatory School is to pursue academic excellence and character
enrichment through rigorous, content-rich curriculum, imparting to our students the ability to excel
and a desire to continuously pursue learning throughout their lives.
A full-time daytime custodian position with competitive pay, paid time off, benefits and a great
retirement package. Anticipated work days are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m to 3:30
p.m. This is currently a 12-month position. All new hires are subject to a 90-day probation
period. The daytime custodian will report directly to the Maintenance Manager.
Custodians are responsible for general care, cleaning, and minor maintenance of the buildings,
grounds, and equipment on campus. Custodians will work consistently to provide a clean,
hazard-free and safe environment for staff and students.
The daytime custodian will perform a variety of tasks to ensure each building on campus is
always kept clean and orderly for staff and students. The daytime custodian must be able to
accommodate cleaning needs as they arise and show flexibility in getting tasks done. He/She will
be expected to prioritize tasks so the needs of staff and students are met first, including:
- Cleaning assigned areas including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting and trash
○ Interior – hallways, restrooms, offices, classrooms, lunchroom, multi-purpose
rooms, and any other area assigned by supervisor
○ Exterior – Perimeter of school building, parking lot, playground, windows, and any
other area assigned by supervisor
- Cleaning AC filters and vents
- Cleaning light fixtures, ceilings and vents, walls, furniture windows and window coverings
- Replenishing supplies and materials
Maintain Safe Environment
The daytime custodian will work diligently to provide a safe learning environment for
students as well as a safe working environment for staff. He/She will disinfect high traffic
areas throughout the school as well clean bathrooms daily to help limit the spread of
germs. Special attention will be paid to any objects or areas that could pose a hazard.
Such situations will be resolved appropriately and with minimal disruption to the school
day. The daytime custodian is responsible for opening the building(s) each morning,
therefore punctuality is essential. He/She is responsible for performing perimeter safety
checks by conducting security patrols of designated areas, watching for irregular or
unusual conditions that may create security concerns or safety hazards, warning violators
of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking or carrying forbidden articles. He/She will
also provide assistance to students, employees, and visitors in courteous and
professional manner as needed
The daytime custodian will help to maintain all the grounds on campus by removing
leaves, picking up trash, weeding and power washing. Other duties will include bush
trimming, rust removal and spraying for insects.
The daytime custodian will be responsible for assisting staff with basic repair needs such
as unclogging toilets, fixing/assembling bookshelves, painting, changing light bulbs and
scrubbing, stripping and waxing floors.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics:
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with professionalism and respect
- Familiarity with the school as an organization
- Self-motivated and willing to serve
- Ability to multitask and perform all job requirements
- Strong oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented team player who will maintain high standards for work areas and
- Must work effectively with and collaborate with the Maintenance Manager
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed
- Knowledge of proper and safe use of applicable custodial equipment
- Must have basic phone and computer skills (email, texting, etc.)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to assigned
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull
- Must be able to work in heat, cold, damp and dry conditions.
- Must be able to perform the physical aspects of the job such as climbing ladders; carrying
items up to 35 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally; continuously walking
- Education: minimum high school graduate with continuing education construction or
- Experience: A minimum of 1 years of janitorial trade experience.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $10.75 per hour
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Signing bonus