In all behavior and disciplinary matters, the school bus is considered an extension of the school day. Discipline problems on the school bus will result in regular school discipline. In addition, measures will be taken in relation to bus riding privileges. The privilege of riding a school bus is based upon the continued observance of the rules and regulations. Student conduct must not divert the driver’s attention from his/her primary duty of safely transporting students.
- Students must ride the bus unless an exception has been noted in the School Dismissal Manager (SDM). SDM will automatically default all students as a bus rider.
- Approved family members or designated drivers are to be on time for pick-ups. The bus must maintain its schedule.
- If an approved family member or designated driver is not present at the bus stop within 5 minutes of the posted time, students will be brought back to Classical Prep. Students will not be permitted to wait at the bus stop unattended for any reason.
- Students are to take their seats as soon as they get on the bus. Students are not to move or change seats unless instructed by the driver.
- The bus driver is in full charge while transporting students.
- The bus driver may assign seats on the bus. Students will take the seats as assigned when told to do so.
- Students must not extend hands, arms, or heads out of the windows.
- Students are to refrain from unnecessary conversation with the bus driver.
- Any damage done to the seats or other equipment will be paid for by the student/student’s family.
- The use or possession of tobacco, controlled substances, and alcohol is prohibited on the bus.
- The buses are to be kept clean. There is to be no throwing or shooting of any article at any time. Food and drink carried on the bus will remain in the proper containers and not consumed while riding the bus.
- The driver is not to load or unload students at other than assigned stops. The exception to this is the written authorization from proper school officials and parents whereby students are to use another established bus stop.
- Students are not to leave the bus without the driver’s consent. The emergency exit will not be used unless the driver gives instruction to do so.
- When it is necessary to cross the road after leaving the bus, students must wait for the driver’s instructions to cross the road in front of the bus.
- Please extend the proper courtesy to your driver, for he/she has a big job to do.
- A student who is temporarily suspended from riding privileges and subsequently found riding any bus will be issued another misconduct notice and the related discipline.
- Students will give their correct names and addresses when requested to do so. If students do not give the correct information, they will receive the next level of misconduct notice.
- Large potentially dangerous objects are not to be brought on the bus.
- Animals of any type are not to be brought on the bus.
BUS DISCIPLINE PROCEDURES
Proper student behavior on the bus is essential to the safety and well-being of all bus riders. Unruly riders will not be tolerated and will be dealt with in a manner that places responsibility on the student and parents, as well as the school. The following procedures shall be adhered to in regard to student misconduct on the bus.
- In all behavior and disciplinary matters, the school bus is considered an extension of the school day. Discipline problems on the school bus will result in regular school discipline. In addition, measures will be taken in relation to bus riding privileges.
- Students will be given a written copy of the rules and regulations regarding their conduct on the bus.
- These rules will be discussed by parents and students. Riding privileges are contingent upon obeying the rules.
- Drivers have complete authority over the bus at all times and will issue misconduct reports to students who misbehave.
- The school administrator will be responsible for disciplinary action when students receive misconduct reports from the bus driver.
- If the misbehavior is severe enough, the student’s bus riding privileges may be suspended at any time.
MISCONDUCT NOTICE #1
Parents will be notified. Communication of the notification will take form in an email, written notice, or phone call to the parent/family/guardian. Disciplinary consequences as determined by a member of the administration.
MISCONDUCT NOTICE #2
Riding privileges will be suspended for 3 school days. Parents must have a conference with a school Administrator/Dean before riding privileges are reinstated. The bus driver will be notified by a member of the administration when a student’s riding privileges have been reinstated.
MISCONDUCT NOTICE #3
Riding privileges will be suspended for 5 school days. Parents must have a conference with a school Administrator/Dean before riding privileges are reinstated. The bus driver will be notified by a member of the administration when a student’s riding privileges have been reinstated.
MISCONDUCT NOTICE #4
Riding privileges will be suspended for 10 school days. Parents must have a conference with a school Administrator/Dean before riding privileges are reinstated. The bus driver will be notified by a member of the administration when a student’s riding privileges have been reinstated.
- At the fourth referral, there will be a review of the student’s behavioral and intervention history, which will culminate in the development of an intervention plan for the student. The parents will be invited to participate in this review.
Recommendation of bus expulsion.
The following may result in a recommendation for bus expulsion at any time:
- Exiting the rear emergency door
- Any action that endangers the safety of anyone on or around the bus
- Continuous disruptive behavior
Severity of the offense, extenuating circumstances, and the attitude of the student and parent will be considered by the school administration and may be discussed with the Director of Transportation before a final determination is made.